Monday 23 June 2003

Guitar Project - Tele "Bits-O-Caster" guitar

Do you remember this unfinished project from last year?

Well... We had a go at finishing her off this weekend, and she's done and plays beautifully!
Tele Bits-O-Caster
Tele Bits-O-Caster
Tele Bits-O-Caster

As I explained earlier the body is an old Telecaster type that I'd bought off eBay. It had been in storage for Who knows how many years, and despite having one or two minor knocks, had not ever been used. It required some extra routing of the pickup cavities as they weren't quite deep enough for the pickups I wanted to install, and we had to drill holes for the strings thru body and for the jack socket on the lower bout.

Because of the way in which the original body routing had been carried out, I was unable to use a standard design Telecaster scratchplate on this, because a channel from the bridge pickup to the control cavity would not have been covered up. I traced the outline of the shape I wanted from a real Tele scratchplate, then extended the design (using a dinner plate to continue to top curve!). We used some attractive tortoiseshell scratchplate material bought from highlystrung.co.uk and cut this to the desired shape using a fretsaw.

The pickups are a chromed Gibson style P90 at the neck position and a Seymour Duncan Stratocaster-style pickup in the bridge position, so this guitar is certainly not wimpy in the sounds department. The P90 allows for some nice jazzy tones, and overdriven it can get quite bluesy.

The neck - as has been explained earlier - came from a Encore "Guitarist" model instrument which was offered for sale in the pages of Guitarist magazine in the 1980s. I did consider removing the logo, but decided in the end that I quite liked the novelty of keeping the old Guitarist magazine logo on the headstock. This original Encore guitar was quite a cheapy - I bought it in a very sorry state for £21. Right from the beginning the only part I intended re-using was the neck as it was a well-made neck and in very nice condition, with a very pleasing satin feel to the back of the neck. It just so happened that this neck fitted the Telecaster style body perfectly, so I decided to marry them up.

Having said that, a friend of mine - who helped me on this project - took the old Encore body away "just to play around with" and has refinished and re-sprayed it. I have found another neck, and it looks like we're going to get another guitar out of this too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis