Monday 25 February 2013

Here's another you don't see every day: Micro-Frets Swinger

guitarz.blogspot.com:
We've commented several times before on Guitarz that Micro-Frets were a highly innovative and pioneering American guitar manufacturer, albeit sadly one that is almost forgotten today.

I'm showing you this Micro-Frets Swinger a little too late, I'm afraid, as the eBay UK auction is ending in just under an hour and a half as I type this. It's unmistakably a Micro-Frets design, despite the upside-down, almost left-handed, appearance with the longer lower body horn. Alas I know nothing about this particular model, I just wanted to include it here on Guitarz because it's such an interesting looking piece.

Bidding is at £566 at the time of writing. [EDIT: The winning bid was £720.]

G L Wilson

© 2013, Guitarz - The Original Guitar Blog - the blog that goes all the way to 11!

12 comments:

  1. That's one of those guitars that's cool just cause it's so damned ugly. Love it! Have you seen that one in baby blue? It's awesome in that color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Tweedledee...or the other one

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having a 5th screw anchor point ( independent of the neck joint ) must add a measure of stability to any bolt-on assembly. Seems like a minor effort and expense, more than offset w/ benefits to combat humidity, temp changes and the rigors of hard use/abuse.

    The offset lower strap button does concern as it looks like finding the center of gravity was an after thought? If positioned in normal alignment would this have a tendency to make the instrument feel like it's constantly falling away from you? Has anyone played one of these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a micro frets swinger and it plays great. I have had no trouble with it and I bought it 42 years ago

      Delete
  4. Isn't it funny that the scratchplate has a scratchplate ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, the two-tier pickguards. Rickenbacker do something similar on several of their models.

      Delete
  5. While much has been written about whether or not Leo Fender "borrowed" Paul Bigsby's original 6 inline headstock design I wonder if we have another example of Fender stealing a headstock profile here? To my eye the mid 70s Fender Starcaster Headstock looks like it "borrowed" it profile from the earlier Micro-Fret models. Or do I have that backwards?
    Jack in LA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey hey, I'm the owner of the baby blue sparkly Swinger, recently restored to perfection by String Theory Guitar Geeks. Oddly, it's on my lap as I'm typing this!

    I've got to say, this guitar is unique in so many ways- it plays beautifully and has a sound all it's own. Right now, mine has the re-issued version of the bridge pickup, as the last guy who worked on it destroyed the original, but I have others and it sounds the same anyway. I don't care about collectability, I just love these guitars. Perfect for that post-punk sound. The last thing I would want to do is put it in a display case, this guitar was made to be played. Through four thousand delays :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Omar - have you any photos we could share?

      Delete
  7. Sure GL! Ummm, how do I get them to you? Any requests? (MORE BRIDGE! MORE BRIDGE! That's it baby!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this same guitar and I love it. Bought it in 1973. billydeannj@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a Micro Frets Swinger just like this one.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis