Tuesday 2 July 2013

Hehnke one-off ergonomic guitar with multi-scale fan-fretted neck

guitarz.blogspot.com:
Here's a guitar hand-built by Guitarz reader Dan Hehnke, who tells us:
I'm a luthier in Colorado, US (engineer by trade), but I love making unusual and comfortable guitars out of beautiful and whenever possible sustainably sourced woods.

This guitar has a chambered Alder body with a Koa top. The neck is cherry/maple/cherry laminated with a scarf jointed curly maple headstock, and with cherry binding. I love cherry for necks, and I don't know why more people don't use it! Yes, the body is my latest ergonomic shape that is really comfortable for the forearm, plus the cutaways allow it to be played normal horizontal style while sitting, or by putting the large cutout on the left leg is comfortable classical style. I made custom koa pickup rings and knobs for it. I also had a custom slanted TOM style bridge made for it, as I couldn't find anything that worked for me off the shelf. I designed it in Solidworks and had a machine shop make it out of 6061 aluminum. The current pickups are Duncan P-rails, though I have a set of custom made cream humbuckers for it on the way.
Thanks Dan for sharing your creation with us! We'd like to see more reader-built guitars on this blog, so please contact us or post a photo and accompanying text on the Guitarz FaceBook page.

G L Wilson

© 2013, Guitarz - The Original Guitar Blog - the blog that goes all the way to 11!
Please read our photo and content policy.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis